São Miguel Arcanjo Fort, Nazaré
São Miguel Arcanjo Fort, Nazaré was built in the 16th century, during King D. Sebastião (1557-1578) reign and it is a military facility, working as a coast watch place.
Later it played an important role on the fortification system created during Portuguese Restoration War (1640-1668) in the 17th century, by King D. João IV (1640-1656).
In the early 19th century, it was again a central place during Peninsular War (1808-1810) and a few years later during Portuguese Liberal Wars (1828-1834) between the liberal (King D. Pedro IV (1826)) and absolutists (King D. Miguel (1828-1833)).
In the early 20th century there was built a lighthouse to help the navigation in the zone.
Located at the Promontory of Nazaré, close to Sítio da Nazaré, the Fort is classified has Public Interest Building since 1978.
Besides its historical importance and its military usage, today the fort is heritage attraction but it also plays an important role has a viewpoint to watch the Big Waves created by Nazaré Canyon and made famous by the American surfer Garrett McNamara.
Be sure not to miss this fantastic place!